We are writing to inform you of the changes and structure of our upcoming season of Futsal, and your role within that.
Our 2023/2024 Season will have 3 tiers of competition:
- Local Club Competition
- This is targeted at our grass roots players and our elite players wanting to play socially with their mates. It will accommodate ages from 8’s to Senior’s
- Competition will commence the first week of September and run through to mid Feb 2024
- Competition’s will be held at one of our 5 Newcastle Centres
- Howzat, Cooks Hill
- Macquarie College, Wallsend
- Maitland Basketball Stadium
- Medowie/Nelson Bay
- Awaba (operated by Geoff Finch)
- OR 2 Central Coast Centres
- Bateau Bay
- State League
- This is targeted at our elite players and coaches from 8’s to 15’s. It will serve as a gateway to our Club National teams for January. It will give our elite players a strong competition to develop their skills. It will give coaches an opportunity to practice their coaching techniques and tactics. Coaches will be provided feedback over the course of the competition.
- Competition will commence from 8th October and run until December. Exact teams for each age group may vary. So, draws for each age group will reflect this.
- The teams included will be:
- Newcastle Steelers
- Macquarie Sharks
- Hunter Valley Storm
- Port Stephens Dolphins
- Central Coast Lightning
- Games will be played on Sundays at varied venues throughout the competition.
- Trials will be held in July in conjunction with School Nationals trials. Players can trial for either State League and/or School Nationals at these trials. (Times listed below)
- Unfortunately, there will be no remuneration for coaches this year for State League, however all coaches can attend a Level 1 Coaching Course run by National TD Scott Gilligan free of charge. Also, as stated coaches will be provided with feedback, training tips and tactical advice throughout the competition.
- Our 16’s to Opens elite competitions will run as a different format to the State League to help accommodate our involvement in the National League and other Events. But will include our Supa Liga and a monthly round robin tournament. More details to be released soon
- National Tournaments
- This is targeted at our top elite players and coaches.
- There are 3 main National Tournaments:
- Schools Nationals held 27th – 30th September 2023.
- Club Nationals Juniors (8s to 15s) held 13th – 16th January 2024
- Club Nationals Seniors (16s, youth, opens) held 18th – 21st January 2024
- Trials will look different for each Tournament:
- Schools Trials will be held during July in conjunction with State League trials. Up to 4 teams per age group can be selected.
- Club Nationals Trials will be by invitation only, identified during the first 2 rounds of State League. A maximum of 2 teams will be selected per age group.
To be considered as a coach for Schools or State League or both please send an email of intent to David Yager at , stating which competition you are interested in coaching including preferred age group and he will forward on your requests to the appropriate people.
(Please note that the executive of NNSW Futsal will determine the coaching staff for all Representative competitions)
We would like to have most coaches allocated prior to trials in July, to assist with the trial process.
Trial dates set
Friday July 7th 5:30pm (2 hours) 8/9/12 Boys, 10/11 Girls
Friday July 14th 5:30pm (2 hours) 10/13 Boys, 12/13 Girls
Saturday July 15th 9:00 am 15 Boys
10:00am 16 Boys /Youth Boys
11:00 am 19 Girls /Youth Girls
12:00 Pm Open Women.
Friday July 21st 5:30pm (2 hours) 11/14 Boys, 14/15/16 Girls.
Men’s selections for State Teams will be advised.
CENTRAL COAST SCHOOLS AND STATE TEAM TRIALS TO BE ADVISED.
Trials will be run by various members of our Executive and the Executive will have final determination of selections and team allocations. However, we would like the assistance of appointed coaches for trials and any additional information coaches would like to provide prior to trials, please email David at
Please note that where appropriate there will be crossover between School Nationals Teams and State League Teams selected.
A link will be sent out soon to all past and current players to register for trials. Player’s must be registered using this link to trial.
On Saturday the 5th of August and Sunday the 6th of August Scott Gilligan the National TD for AFA will be in Newcastle. Scott will be conducting an AFA Level 1 course on each day of the 5th and 6th. It is essential that if you want to be a NNSW Futsal coach that you attend one of these courses. NNSW is taking this opportunity to give you Scott’s approach to coaching and therefore the courses fees will be covered by NNSW. Please email to register your spot for either day.
Please pass on this information to any potential coaches you may know.
CEO NNSW Futsal
On behalf of
Rob Panther School Coordinator NNSW Futsal
Nathan Baker NNSW Futsal Coordinator
David Yager NNSW Technical Director